Partner visa (Permanent) (Subclass 801)


This visa is With this visa you can:

  • stay in Australia
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • enroll in Australia’s public healthcare scheme- Medicare
  • sponsor your family members to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship

Travel to and from Australia

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date, this visa is granted. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:

  • you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
  • you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don’t require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship

How long can you stay?

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts:

  • on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
  • on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia.

Include family

You can include your dependent child in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.

If you did not include your dependent child in your temporary visa application, you can still add them to your application before a decision is made on your permanent visa application. The child must:

  • usually hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) and
  • be in Australia

Complete Form 1002 Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (281KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.

Your children must meet the health requirement. If they are 16 years or older they must also meet character requirement.


You paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.

You might have to pay other costs such as those for health checks or police certificates.

Processing times

  • 75% of applications: 13 months
  • 90% of applications: 21 months

The assessment will take longer to process if:

  • you don’t include all the required documents
  • the department needs more information from you
  • it takes time to verify your information

Your obligations

You and your children must obey all Australian laws.

Scroll to Top