Extended Stay Pathway Visa


With Extended Stay Pathway visa you can:

  • Visit your family or friends
  • Be in Australia as a tourist, for a cruise or for any purpose except business or medical treatment
  • You can study or gain a training of 3 months or less. A longer study or training would require you to obtain a Student Visa (Subclass 500) But if your main reason for traveling to Australia is study, a student visa will be more appropriate.

You are not allowed to work on a Visitor Visa.


You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia – that is, it is not considered that you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if your cruise is considered to be a round trip cruise.

How long can you stay?

This is a temporary visa and you can stay for the period or dates specified on the visa grant letter. The length of your visa is decided on a case by case basis. Things that might be considered when determining your stay period include

  • How long you want to stay
  • Why you want to stay in Australia.

You might not be granted the length of stay you want.

This visa is granted as one entry or multiple entries. If you are granted a visa with multiple entries, you can leave and re-enter Australia on the visa while it is valid.

It is a condition of this visa that you do not stay in Australia for a total of more than 12 months in an 18-month period. If you currently hold a Visitor visa, a Working Holiday visa, a Work and Holiday visa or a bridging visa, and grant of this visa would mean you stay in Australia for more than 12 consecutive months, you will need to show there are exceptional circumstances.

Consider the Visitor visa (subclass 600) Frequent Traveler stream if you hold a passport from the People’s Republic of China and you travel to Australia frequently

Scroll to Top