Student Visa

To study a selected study program in Australia, students have to apply for Student Visa Subclass 500. Here’s what you need to know and can do or don't if you are applying for this visa or if you are on the visa.

What can you do?

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 48 hours every fortnight period once your course starts

What can’t you do?

  • Work full-time while your course is in session
  • Be involved in any criminal activities

How long can you stay?

  • Your visa can be up to 5 years, depending on type of course and duration of the course
  • To continue studying in Australia, apply for a new student visa.

What Afterwards?

  • If you complete specific qualifications, you may be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), which may be of 2 years’ duration;
  • Engineering graduates may be eligible for a Skill Recognition Graduate Visa (Subclass 476). This visa may be up to 18 months.
  • Any further visas may be applied for, depending on the circumstances. For advice on which visa may be applicable to you, please contact us at

Family Visa

  • You can include your spouse or de facto partner in your visa application, along with minor dependent children.
  • Family members can travel to Australia after your arrival as well. However, family members must be declared at the time of your visa application, as later visa applications from family member will not be considered should their information not be included in your visa application.


  • A Student visa (Subclass 500) costs from AUD 715 for the main applicant, unless they are exempt from paying. Each additional family member who applies for the visa; with additional costs that may be incurred for various tests and reports.

Application Location

  • You can apply for a visa in or outside Australia. The applications are decided upon by the Department of Home Affairs, Australia.

Documents Required

  • One or more Confirmation of Enrolments (CoE) from your chosen education provider. Your main course will be the course having the highest level in the AQF standard.
  • Financial documents to prove you or your sponsors are able to support your studies while in Australia.
  • English language report to match the requirement of the course according to the AQF requirement. Most health-related courses have higher language skill requirement than other courses.
  • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC).
  • When applying with a package of courses, you need to make sure that the gap between two courses is not more than 2 months long, unless one course ends at the end of a standard academic year and the next session is set to start at the beginning of the following academic year.
  • Visa is generally granted for the entire package of courses.

Processing Timelines

The applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual circumstances including:

  • whether a complete application was lodged, including all necessary supporting documents;
  • how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information;
  • how long it takes to perform the required checks on the supporting information provided;
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
  • for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration program.

See more information on Global visa and citizenship processing times

Your obligations

Various visas will have various conditions. See which conditions are attached to your visa.


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid. You cannot extend your visa for the duration spent outside Australia.

Scroll to Top